My wife cannot resist interesting bread recipes especially ones that involve some kind of stuffing inside. She found this recipe on line and she had to try it. These breakfast muffins have cheese and bacon in the dough and encase an egg; either a whole or scrambled. It is an all inclusive portable breakfast. (If served on a stick it would classify as a “breakfast-on-a-stick” at the local state fair). We were thinking that we might take this to work for breakfast and decided to make the scrambled egg version since this can be, reportedly, be frozen while the one made with a whole egg cannot because the egg white becomes rubbery. We served this as a weekend lunch with my wife’s ribbon salad.
As you can see, the scrambled eggs are stuffed inside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Grease muffin tins with with butter (original recipe calls for “Texas muffin tin to accommodate a whole raw egg in each muffin, we used a regular muffin tin and scrambled eggs crumbled into small pieces).
- Place Dry Ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Whisk Wet Ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Pour the Wet Ingredients into the Dry Ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fold in Flavorings, including cooked bacon (#5).
- Place 3 tbsp of the batter into 4 muffin tin. Bang the tin to flatten the batter.
- Make a divot in the batter and put in the scrambled egg (or crack in a raw egg if using a larger tin and so prefer). (#6)
- Divide the remaining batter between each hole to cover the egg. (#6) shows covered eggs in front and uncovered eggs in back.
- Brush the muffins with melted butter (optional), then bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack. (#7 and 8)
- Best served warm.