Muffins and cupcakes are slightly different. Muffins have nut, fruit, whole grain flour, less sugar and can be eat at breakfast. Well, I can live on sweet all day! If you want more tender apple pieces. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon into chopped apple and microwave 1 or 2 minutes until soft but still keep their shape.
Make 12 standard muffins
2 cups peeled, cored, chopped apple(1/4 inch chunk) about 2 large apples
1 cup whole wheat, stir and scoop into measuring cup
1 cup all purpose flour, stir and scoop into measuring cup
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
1/4 cup chopped pecan or walnut
2 Tablespoon brown sugar ( dark or light)
3/4 cup granulate sugar
1/4 cup melt butter or vegetable oil (canola or peanut)
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Peel, score and chop apples into 1/4 inch chunks.
- Preheat oven to 375 oF. Oil and flour 12-standard cup muffin pan or line with paper cup.
- Mix flours, baking soda, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon well together. Sift a few times to make sure baking soda blended very well with others.
- Mix chopped nut with brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in another bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix sugar and butter/or oil well together. Whisk/stir in egg, one at a time. Then add buttermilk mix well. Stir in vanilla. Stir in apple pieces. Stir in flour mix until no trace of dry flour.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle nut mixture on top batter. Bake about 20-25 minutes until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or still having a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven, let they cool in the pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Use a small knife or bamboo skewer running around the muffins to loose them and unmold, Let them cool completely on wire rack.