Adapted from Chicken Curry with Green Apple from the best of casual French Cooking “Bistro” by Gerald Hirigoyen. A small amount of curry in this dish only give a hint flavor in the background for tart apple not like Asian style chicken curry which is dominated by curry flavor.
Make 2 servings
1 lb boneless chicken thigh, cut into 2 inch cubes
1/2 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 celery rib, cut into 1/2 inch length crosswise
1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 Green Apple or any tart cook apple, peeled, quartered, and cut into 1/4 inch slice, tossed with 1/2 Tbs sugar
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/4 cup white wine( I use dry sherry)
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbs all purpose flour to coat chicken
1 tsp fish sauce and 1 tsp sugar if use water
1. In a large saute pan, heating 1 Tbs oil over medium high heat. Season chicken with sauce and pepper and toss with flour. Add chicken to the pan and sear to golden brown all sides about 3 minutes, put them to the side of the pan.
2. Stir in onion, carrot, and celery until the vegetable a lightly brown about 2 more minutes.
3. Add wine and cook until all liquid evaporates.
4. Add chicken broth or water and curry powder, bring it back to a boil, taste and seasoning if needed. Turn down the heat to medium, and simmer, uncover until chicken cooks through and carrot tender about 8-10 minutes. Taste and adjust season again. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
5. In a small saute pan, heating 1 Tbs oil over medium high heat. Stir in apple and cook until apple tender but still firm 1-2 minutes. Add apple to the chicken and sauce. Toss well and transfer to a platter
6. Serve with cooked rice.
If you want a smooth sauce, chop celery and carrot coarsely and in step 4 remove chicken from the sauce. Then strain them through a fine mesh sieve and discard the solid remained.
An extra 1/2 cup chicken stock needed if you want more sauce.