This recipe is adapted from Emily Luchetti’s via Seriouseat.com. Emily is recognized around the world for her award-winning sweet creation and this recipe is pictured on the cover of her book “A passion for ice cream” These cookies are very soft. I like to put them in the freezer until firm up at least 4 hours or overnight before making ice cream sandwiches.
Fudge Cookies, make 30-34 cookies (2.5 inch) if using the small (1¾ inch )cream scoop
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 quart of mint chip ice cream, homemade or store bought
- Preheat the oven to 350°F now or later if you have a power plus function oven. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in a double boiler over hot simmering water. Stir constantly until smooth and combined. Set aside, let cool down at room temperature.
- Sift flour and baking powder together , then add salt.
- Whip eggs, sugar and vanilla together until thick and pale in color. Check by lift the beater up, the batter should fall down slowly and form a ribbon that slowly dissolved. Use a spatula to fold cool melt chocolate into the egg mixture. Then stir in the flour mixture. Let the batter rests until slightly thick about 5-15 minutes.
- Using a small ice cream scoop to make small cookies. Scoop the batter into prepared pans at least 2 inches apart. The batter should spread a little bit but not running. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. The cookies will start cracking on the top and loose the shining. Remove from heat when cookies look set and dull. They still very soft when done but do not overbake. Let they cool down in the tray. Then remove with a spatula. Put them in an air tight containers at room temperature or in freezer until use.
- Put a scoop of ice cream on the bottom of one cookie and top with another, gently press down to adhere the sandwiches together. Serve immediately or wrap in a plastic wrap and freeze in an airtight container until ready to serve.