Do you know we have a National Pumpkin Cheesecake day on October 21st? This recipe is adjusted lightly from America test kitchen and Rose’s heaven cakes.
You need to bake the cake one day before serving because it needs to be chilled in the fridge to set overnight. Pumpkin spice mix can be used but the flavor will be slightly different. The bottom of spring form pan has two sides: one with a raised lip and one flat. Butter and bake on the flat side for easy transfer the cheesecake to a cake board if needed.
Make one 9-inch cake, 12-16 servings
9 whole graham crackers (about 4 ¾ to 5 oz) broken into large pieces
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
One 9-inch springform round pan.
1⅓ cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 can (15 ounces) pure pumpkin
1½ pounds cream cheese (3 8-ounce packs),
cut into 1-inch cubes and left soften at room temperature 65-70 ᵒF) about 30 minutes to 1 hour.
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon corn syrup
2 Tablespoon water
1/4 cup heavy cream, hot
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, soft at room temperature
1 cup heavy whipped cream, cold
2 Tablespoon powder sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Making the crust
- Position 1 oven rack to lower -middle position and heat oven to 325 ᵒF. Butter the bottom(on the flat side) and the sides. Pulse crackers, sugar and spices in food processor until finely ground crumbs. Remove the blade. Add melted butter into the crumbs mixture, stir until evenly moistened. Press the crumbs evenly and firmly into bottom of pan with a bottom of a glass. If you like, spread the crumbs up to the side about 1/2 inch with a spoon.
- Bake until fragrant and light brown at the edges about 15 minutes. Set aside to cool on wire rack.
Make the filling
- Bring 3-4 quart of water to a simmer in a stock pot.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium high heat, stir together pumpkin, sugar and spices until the mixture start sputtering. Reduce the heat down to medium low and stir constantly until the mixture thick and shiny about 5 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese with a hand held mixer or a standing mixer fitted with a flat beater at medium speed about 1 minutes;scrape bowl. Add pumpkin mixture in three additions, beat until just Incorporated. Scrape bowl 2-3 times. Slightly beat egg in a separate bowl, add 1/2 egg and beat at medium low until combined; scrape bowl . Add another 1/2 egg and beat at medium -low until incorporated; scrape bowl. Add heavy cream and beat at low speed until just combined about 45 seconds. Using rubber spatula, stirring until smoothly incorporated. Scrape filling into the prepared pan, smooth surface. Place the pan into another 10 inch pan or wrap bottom and sides with 18 inch double layer heavy-duty foil. Then put them into a large pan (12 inches)/or roasting pan . Set them on oven rack and carefully pour boiling water to the larger pan to come about halfway upside of spring form.
- Bake until the cake looks dull but center still looks wet but jiggles/wobbles slightly when pan is shaken about 1 ½ hours. Remove all the pans at once and place on a wire rack. Use a small thin blade knife to loosen cake from sides of pan. Cool about 45 minutes. Remove spring form from water bath. Discard the foil if used, and set on wire rack about 3 hours. Wrap with plastic wrap or cover with a large bowl or container and refrigerated at least 4 hours or overnight.
Make caramel glaze
Can be made a day ahead and store at room temperature or in the fridge. If it is getting too thick to spoon or pipe., warm it up in microwave about 1 minutes or place it in simmering water stir until thin enough to use.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup. Melt sugar over medium heat, stirring constantly.until sugar dissolves and the mixture bubbling. Stop stirring, allow the mixture to boil undisturbed until turning a slightly dark amber. Remove from heat and carefully pour hot heavy cream into the caramel. It will bubble furiously.
- Return the pan back to low heat, cont stirring until the caramel is fully dissolved
- Remove from heat, stir in butter until incorporated. Pour caramel into a heat proof container, cover and store at room temperature or chill in the fridge.
- Drizzling with a spoon or piping with a pastry or plastic bag.
Make whipped cream,
Add all ingredients in a cold bowl and whipped until soft peak formed.