Make 2 servings
1 lb sugar pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-in cubes
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, keep the shells for flavoring stock
2 cups water
1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 tsp sugar
1/2 Tbs fish sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 shallot or 1/4 small yellow onion, coarsely chop
1 garlic clove, finely chop
1 green onion, thinly sliced
2 sprigs of cilantro
Cooked rice to serve
- In a medium saucepan, cover shrimp shell with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil at medium high heat, then simmer about 5 minutes at medium low heat. Set aside.
- Heating oil in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, and pumpkin stirring regularly until pumpkin light golden brown. Add sugar and salt and stir about 2 minutes.
- Add water (flavoring with shrimp shells) and bring to a boil. Then lower the heat to medium low and simmer about 10-15 min until pumpkin soft.
- Add fish sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Add shrimp cook about 2 minutes until shrimp cooked-turning pink and opaque inside. Add cilantro, green onion and ground pepper.
- Serve with cooked rice.
Notes: Sugar pumpkin is the pumpkin used to make pie.
May use butternut squash, hubbard pumpkin, acorn pumpkin.
Cut pumpkin into little cubes first then peel easier.