Make 4-6 servings
1 small spaghetti squash, about 2 lb
1 carrot, peeled, julienned
1 large long red pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
3/4 lb of beef ( sirloin or rump steak: top round, bottom round, eye of round ), cut into 1/4-in thick large slices
A handful of fresh herbs: Vietnamese mint ( Rau ram) is preferred but cilantro, spearmint, basil, lemon balm is good too, washed, drained, save some whole for garnish and cut or torn the rest in small pieces.
1/4 cup roasted peanut or cashew, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup deep fried shallot or onion for garnish (optional)
Shrimp chips or tortilla chips to serve
1 Tbs fish sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small shallot, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbs vegetable oil
2 Tbs fish sauce
2 Tbs lime or lemon juice
1 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 garlic clove, finely crushed
Sweet and sour fish sauce
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1&1/2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs lime or lemon juice
1/4 cup warm water
3Tbs fish sauce
1 small red hot chili, seeded and finely minced or 1/4 tsp ground red chili pepper
- Wash and cut spaghetti squash into half either lengthwise or crosswise. Scoop out the seeds and strings out with a spoon. Bring water to a boil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add squash, water should cover squash, bring back to a boil then low the heat down to medium low, cover and cook for 15 minutes until a fork can prick easy to the skin. You can bake in oven with the cut side down 375oF for 1 hour or use microwave for 10-15 minutes. After the squash cooked, drain (if boiled) and let it cool down a few minutes. Separate the strands by a fork follow the direction of the strands from 1 side to the other. Measure about 4 cups and set aside.
- Marinade beef slices with fish sauce, sugar, garlic shallot, and pepper and oil for at least 15 minutes. In a large saute pan over medium high heat, sear the beef without oil (oil added in marinate). Spread the beef in a layer, cook a few minutes until lightly golden, turn over cook until light crisp. Set aside, let it cool down. Then cut the beef into matchsticks with a knife or kitchen shears.
- Mix all ingredients of dressing together,
- Save some beef for garnish. Toss spaghetti strands with carrot, beef, sliced red pepper (if used) in a large bowl. Add salad dressing, toss well. Refrigerate until serving if not serve right away.
- Mix all ingredients of sweet and sour fish sauce together. Taste adjust the seasoning as your liking. It should sweet, sour and lightly salty.
- Right before serving, remove salad mixture from the fridge. Toss and taste, if it is not zesty enough add a few more Tbs of sweet and sour fish sauce and toss well and taste. Transfer to a serving plate, top with preserved beef, herb and sprinkle with peanut.
- Serve with shrimp or tortilla chips, and extra sweet and sour fish sauce.