This is one of the dish for family gathering at weekends or holidays. Everyone dips the paper thin sliced beef into hot vinegar broth at the table and make their own rolls.
1/2 fresh pineapple, thinly slice lengthwise a half and finely chopped a half
8 oz dried fine vermicelli
2 green onion, cut into 2-in length
1 small red Thai chili, seeded, thinly sliced
1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, cut into 2-in length, bruised
1 small chunk of ginger, smashed
- Put julienned carrot and daikon in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside and stir occasionally. You can do it on the previous day. Squeeze most liquid out before serving.
- Slice beef and arrange in layers with onion slices and green onion in a large plate or a couples small plates. Cover and refrigerate until serve. You can buy thinly sliced beef at Asian store like Sunrise here in Eugene under the name shabu -shabu or sukiyaki beef.
- Soak fine vermicelli in boiling water for 5-6 minutes, make sure enough water to cover vermicelli. If the vermicelli is soft but still yield some bite, drain and rinse with cold water, drain well. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Dipping Sauce “Mam Nem”- In a medium bowl, add 2 crushed garlic clove, chili slices, 4 Tbs sugar, 2 Tbs vinegar, 1/2 cup water, a and finely chopped pineapple (When adding pineapple,squeeze firm but gentle to release juice). Add 3 Tbs fermented anchovy, stir well, taste and adjust seasoning to you liking but remember the pineapple will soak in the sauce and give more flavor and sweetness to the final taste.
- Wash and rinse all the greens, cucumber, banana, star fruit, bean sprout. Slice star fruit, set aside.
- In a small bowl, add 1 cup of water and one Tbs vinegar or lime juice. Peel the outer layer of banana skin with a vegetable peeler. Slice the banana crosswise and add to the bowl right away to prevent turning brown. Drain banana slices just before serving
- In a medium pot, add the remaining crushed garlic, lemongrass, ginger, 1 cup vinegar, 5 cups water (or coconut water from one coconut and water) 1 tsp salt and 1 Tbs sugar. Bring it to a boil, taste and , cover and simmer gently until needed.
Thai Red chili is sold in a big package at Asian store but they freeze well. The green chili is good too.
You do not need to have a lot of herbs: a bunch of cilantro or mint can give the roll some flavor.
Star fruit is not always available around here. if you can not see it, omit it.
The green banana we use in Vietnamese market has a lot of young seeds but green banana here is good to use too.
Sometimes pineapple chunks are added into the vinegar broth
Crushed pineapple can be used to make fermented anchovy sauce
Check out the post relates to making rolls
How the rice paper is made